MRG Foundation funds primarily grassroots, Oregon-based organizations that believe, like we do, that those most impacted by injustice are the ones best equipped to come up with solutions to the problems that affect them.
A successful grant applicant will demonstrate that they:
utilize community organizing, leadership development, base building, advocacy and/or other strategies that build our communities’ collective power to effect long-lasting, systemic change;
address the root causes of injustice in their work, not just the effect of injustice;
have an intentional practice against racism, White Supremacy, and all other forms of oppression, and can articulate their individual role within oppressive systems while actively fighting against the harm they produce;
are intersectional in their thinking, approaches and solutions; and
are led by the people most impacted.
In order to be eligible for funding, organizations must:
- Be based in the region currently known as Oregon and/or their work must benefit those who call Oregon home;
- Preferably, have 501(c)(3) tax exemption or have a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor.
- If a group has neither federal tax exemption nor a fiscal sponsor, please contact us.
- If a group is a 501(c)(4), they may apply for 501(c)(3)-qualifying work.
- Not have received a grant in the immediately previous grant cycle.
If the group is a current grantee, your previous grant must be spent down completely and the final report must be completed before the new grant begins. That is, if your current grant is scheduled to end in June, your final report must be completed before you receive the new grant on July 1.
Please review the full eligibility requirements here.
GRANT TYPES & AMOUNTS
Our General Fund grants can be used for general operating support or for special projects, depending on a few criteria. All of our grants are for one year.
- Operating Support: Operating support grants are reserved for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt groups whose budgets are up to $500,000 a year. The maximum request allowed is $15,000.
- Project Support: Project support grants are available to exempt groups, non-exempt groups, and fiscally sponsored groups, regardless of budget size. The maximum grant amount is $15,000 for fiscally sponsored and 501(c)(3) groups and $7,000 for groups that have neither federal tax-exempt status nor a fiscal sponsor.
Please note that while project grants are open to large-budget organizations, funding priority will be given to smaller, grassroots groups that are led by the communities most impacted.
MRG strives to fund grants as requested; however, our limited budget and the large number of applications sometimes mean we must fund at lower amounts.
PROCESS & TIMELINE
All of our grant applications must now be submitted through our Submittable platform. To use Submittable, organizations will need to create an account, which is a fairly simple process.
From their account, groups will be able to submit applications, track their progress, send us additional documents, and submit final reports, if we ever require any (more on reports below).
After groups submit their applications, our Grant Making Committee will select up to 20 groups that will be asked to provide additional information, receive site visits, and participate in Presentation Day. The timeline for the Spring 2021 cycle will be announced soon.
Once groups receive an award, they will have one year to spend the funds. At the end of that year, they will be required to meet with our Grants Program Director to give us their final report. That’s right—no more written reports!
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply online via Submittable. As you are working on your application, Submittable will autosave your answers, but if you’d like to see the questions we are asking in the application and/or work on a draft ahead of time, you can download the application questions by clicking here.
Please note that we are no longer accepting paper applications. If applying online presents a significant barrier, however, please let us know and we can work with you on a plan.
BEFORE YOU START
Please read our Grant Making Overview + Eligibility page carefully.
Due to the high volume of inquiries and our limited staff capacity, we ask that you do the following before contacting us:
If you still have specific questions, please send us an email and we’ll get back to you within 48 hours.
If you experience technical difficulties with the online platform, please contact email@example.com.